Herbert Gurschner

Innsbruck 1901 - 1975 London

Herbert Gurschner was born in Innsbruck in 1901. In 1917, he attended the School of Arts and Crafts in Innsbruck, where he had his first own exhibition that same year. From 1918 to 1920, he studied at the Academy of Arts in Munich, together with Wilhelm Nicolaus Prachensky. He founded the Mühlau circle of artist’s along with Ernst Nepo, Alphons Schnegg and Rudolf Lehnert. In the years between 1920 and 1925, numerous exhibitions in Innsbruck followed. In 1924, Gurschner married an English aristocrat, who connected him to circles of artists and collectors in London. In 1925, he had his first exhibitions in London and Chicago. On the last station of the circulating exhibition “Artists of Tyrol”, Gurschner was represented with six of his paintings. In the years following, he repeatedly traveled to Italy, where he was also invited to be a guest exhibitor at the biennale in Venice. Gurschner’s creative worked developed into the “New Objectivity”. He made his creative breakthrough by issuing his second exhibition at the Fine Art Society in 1931. This sensational success led to acquisition of “Annunciation” by the Tate Gallery. In 1975, Herbert Gurschner died in London.