Max Weiler

Absam 1910 - 2001 Vienna

Max Weiler was born in Hall in Tirol in 1910. He studied painting from 1930 to 1937 at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna under Karl Sterrer and was himself appointed director of the master-class for painting there in 1964. Alongside his canvasses, he created a significant series of both ecclesiastical and secular murals, together with mosaics, glass paintings and ceramic murals. Weiler’s pictorial language, which initially was still naturalistic, quickly developed into a characteristic version of lyrical abstraction. Numerous public commissions, international exhibitions and awards reflect his pre-eminence as an artist.