Gerda Gruber

* Bratislava 1940

Gerda Gruber studied 1957 – 62 at the College of Applied Art in Vienna under Prof. Heinz Leinfellner. She married Kurt Spurey in 1962 and in the following years she ran a studio for ceramic art together with Iris Brendel and Elisabeth Schaffner. In 1969 she founded an atelier for porcelain design with Kurt Spurey, where she worked until 1975. In the same year she separated from Kurt Spurey and traveled to Mexico, where she still lives. 1976 – 1986 Gerda Gruber was active as professor in the master-class for ceramic sculpture at the Escuela Nacional de Artes Plasticas, Universidad Autonoma de Mexico, in Mexico City. She moved to Merida, Yucatan in 1988, where she set up a studio in a rented stone house and taught ceramic design. She opened her own studio 1992 – 1993 and a center of ceramic scupture in Cholul in Yucatan. She has been working since 1994 in glass, bronze, silver and wood. She is a jury member of different art and ceramic biennals in Mexico and Latin America and was one of the founding members of the first biennale for "Arte en Ceramica" in Monterrey, Mexico.
Gerda Gruber’s works have been displayed in numerous international one-woman-shows and group exhibitions.