Josef PillhoferVienna 1921 - 2010 Vienna
Josef Pillhofer was born in Vienna in 1921. From 1938 to 1941 the sculptor attended the Kunstgewerbeschule in Graz. His studies from 1946 to 1953 under Fritz Wotruba at the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna were decisive for his artistic development. In 1950 he was awarded the Staatspreis of the Academy and a yearlong scholarship at the workshop of Ossip Zadkine in Paris. During that time he came into contact with the sculptors Constantin Brancusi and Henri Laurens who also influenced his work. Stimulated by his Paris stay, Pillhofer applied himself to an in-depth study of cubistic formal principles. His occupation with Cubism accounts for the development of Pillhofer’s preference for geometric forms and the emergence of only a few basic forms. From 1970 to 1981 he lectured at the sculpture department of the Kunstgewerbeschule in Graz. Numerous exhibitions in museums and galleries, such as the Österreichische Galerie im Oberen Belvedere in Vienna in 1971 and the Rupertinum in Salzburg in 1984, showed comprehensive representations of his work.
Big Layer Head 2003 Study for a Large Stone 1962 Moving Figures 1992 Two Figures 1996 Dancer 1980 Dancer 1980 Nude Looking over the Shoulder 1980
Black Form with White Limit 2004 Collage 1994 Standing Figure with Geometric Form 2007 Figure 1955 Figure 1955 Figure to the Right 1970 Nude with Folded Arm and Leg 1990
Two Nudes Tree 1960 Figure with Hand in Front of the Mouth 2010 Cubistic Reclining Figure 1960-65 Reclining Female Figure 1955 Reclining Max 1969 Maxim 1958
Neuberger Formation 2010 Roomconception III, 2 2000 Headshape 2008/09 Roomconception III, 2 2000 Susanna and Jan 1968 Red Flame around 2004 Yellow Flame 2004